Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rocky Flats Cold War Museum

“Some loved it.  Some hated it.  Some never knew it existed.”

I finally made it over to Olde Town Arvada to check out the Rocky Flats Cold War Museum.  It’s a new museum that’s just been open off and on for the past year (closed in between rotating exhibits, I believe).  This new-ness is unfortunately reflected with not a lot there and unfortunately, most of the pictures and text on the walls were of victims from tests in Nevada, rather than about Rocky Flats.  Still, it’s free (donation suggested) and is an interesting topic.  I’m sure the museum will grow in the coming years and hope they get the community’s support in the meantime. 

3 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

Count me in the "Some never knew it existed," but thanks for sharing. Dude, when are you going to start a travel show? I dig your finds.

That reminded me to check out Full Body Burden, an autobiography from Rocky Flats that sounded interesting.

Still meaning to check out "Rocky Flats Lounge" as well -- a Green Bay Packers bar, with a fish fry, in a nuclear test wasteland == unbeatable combination. Have you been there? Surprised there aren't more DUI's and accidents on NFL Sunday's down there.

Justin Mock said...

I've heard of that book, never read it though. They were actually talking about it at the museum.

Finds - guess I've just been on a museum/history kick the last two (?) years. Kinda feel like I've seen most of Colorado, but there's always more to explore - Sand Creek Massacre site comes to mind next.

I've been to the Rocky Flats Lounge twice. It's not worth the hype, the fish fry is expensive, $15+ if I recall.

What really interests me is the new Candelas development back behind Arvada/Westminster. It really is "in the shadow of Rocky Flats." Big, nice houses, $300-400k, with soil that contains traces of plutonium. The rate that they're building houses out there is unbelievable, just wonder how much those buyers consider Rocky Flats.

mike_hinterberg said...

Candelas sounds like a beautiful extension of the same part of the American dream: steady job and big new house, don't ask questions.